Every year it feels as though Christmas talk starts earlier and earlier; Jan walked in to our office this morning and declared that there were only 15 weekends until Christmas! If you were happily oblivious to this fact, then I am sorry for alerting you to it, however Jan does have a very good point and now is the time to start planning and briefing your festive promotions.
We’ve been discussing Christmas competitions and campaigns with our clients since July, so here are a few points to bear in mind when planning campaigns over the Christmas period:
• Allow sufficient time for testing, amends and approval – With annual leave often starting from Mid-December make sure your plan accommodates any annual leave commitments and Christmas office closures of you, your partners and of course the person who has the final sign off!
• Promotion close dates – consider these not only for Christmas campaigns but also any existing campaigns. Make sure all parties are briefed well in advance on their responsibilities if there are any that fall over the Christmas period
• Postal dates – Be aware of the last postal dates to ensure prize delivery before Christmas
• Out of hours contact details – Having out of hours contact details for at least one person at all parties involved, just in case of any surprise issues
• Be mindful of any campaign launches over New Years and for the first few weeks in January – It’s a good idea to get these briefed in as early as possible as resources aren’t normally restored fully again until mid-January
If there are any digital aspects of your Christmas promotion that you might be struggling with, please let us know as we love a challenge! Plus, we don’t shut down over Christmas, just in case you need us.